After several weeks of limited palettes this week in class all restrictions were lifted. To help things along we also set up a still life with some seriously clashing colors.
Like previous weeks I decided to start again by painting a value study in one color and then add the other colors once I had the darks and lights worked out. Rather than starting with the warm Burt Sienna this time I went with an Ultramarine Blue. The result is a much cooler cast to the whole painting even given the large amounts of yellow and red. In fact, if you look closely the yellows you can see in the backdrop sheet and the lemons is actually slightly green, the results of mixing pure Cadmium yellow with the blue underpainting. It’s just that in the context of the rest of the colors and values they appear bright yellow.